Cancer: 'I didn't leave the house for a long time because I didn't want to be seen

 

Cancer: 'I didn't leave the house for a long time because I didn't want to be seen
Cancer: 'I didn't leave the house for a long time because I didn't want to be seen

A few days before her trip to Sao Paulo, 27-year-old Diane Lima decided to get a facial. Little did she imagine that she would be diagnosed with skin cancer during a facelift and liposuction procedure.


Diane Lima says she gets facials regularly and in mid-2022 she once again made an appointment with a beautician in her hometown of Erchem. However, after the facial, he realized that the part of his body near his nose was soft.


According to her, 'After a few days, a small sore appeared, but I thought it was because I had removed a blackhead or something, and I started using the healing ointment. '


Diane Lima elaborates, saying that over the next few weeks, the wound healed, but then it didn't disappear completely. He remained in this situation for more than a month. And only after bleeding did he realize his wound.


According to him, 'I woke up and my nose was bleeding profusely. That's when I decided to go to a dermatologist.


As she did not have access to health insurance, the young woman spent her savings on her treatment. And he suspected in the first meeting with the doctor that the wound in the nose that did not heal could actually be skin cancer.


She says that when the doctor brought up the possibility, "I burst into tears." You get a thousand ideas. Since I was young and had no family history of skin cancer, I never thought it could happen to me. At that moment, my world ended.


The diagnosis process confirmed that Lima was suffering from basal cell carcinoma. This disease is a type of skin cancer and now he will have to undergo surgery to get rid of it.


He underwent surgery last January and part of his facial skin was removed to remove the tumor. He needed 27 stitches. The diagnosis forced the young woman to postpone her final semester exams for her history degree.


"My life changed completely in one day," he says. It is not just about the diagnosis, but about all the consequences associated with the disease. In addition to crippling university and work, I now have self-esteem issues, especially because my cancer is on my face, and it's a visible part of my body.'


Diane Lima says that in addition to the scar on the skin, cancer also created a crisis of anxiety and depression. My self-esteem was gone.


"I couldn't look at myself in the mirror and started avoiding going out. Everyone used to ask me what I did and why I have a scar. I did not leave the house for a long time because I did not want to be seen by anyone. Not to mention that people make jokes that hurt me, like calling me fat. They don't know why my body has become like this.


According to him, the drugs have also increased his weight during this treatment.


What is basal cell carcinoma?


According to the National Cancer Institute of Brazil (INCA), basal cell carcinoma is the most common type of 'non-melanoma' skin cancer, accounting for approximately 80% of diagnoses. It originates in the basal cells of the epidermis and is mainly a lesion (lesion or nodule) with pink, translucent, or pearly edges, which does not heal and which has led to ulceration.


"It is a skin cancer that is considered the most benign of all tumors because it rarely metastasizes tumor cells to other organs," says Reinaldo Tovo of the Department of Dermatology at a hospital in São Paulo. This is only possible if the treatment takes a long time and the tumor is aggressive, for example invading the bone. However, this is very rare.


The main risk factor for basal cell carcinoma is sun exposure. People with light skin are most prone to this disease. These symptoms usually appear in people after the age of 40 and are more likely to affect the parts of the body that are directly affected by these extreme rays, such as the face, neck, back, and chest. etc. The disease affects men more than women and is rare in children, adolescents, and black people.


Vanessa D'Andreta Tanaka, a gynecologist at the Hospital of Barritos (São Paulo) believes that 'the main risk factor is prolonged exposure to sunlight. This risk increases especially during childhood and adolescence.


According to him, the sun is an overall problem in terms of this disease. The more sun exposure a person has in their lifetime, the more likely they are to develop skin cancer. The possibility of getting skin cancer is also high in those who have light skin.


Diagnosis and treatment


The diagnosis of this disease is usually clinical. A dermatologist assesses a skin lesion and may perform a dermoscopy if in doubt. A biopsy is performed to confirm the diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma.


Surgery is the standard treatment for 'non-melanoma' skin cancer as this procedure allows more control of tumor margins, which provides greater assurance of cure. The goal of surgery is to completely remove the injured area and surrounding tissue as a margin of safety.


Tiago Kenji is the technical director of Dasa Oncology at Hospital Santa Paula in São Paulo. "This type of surgery is generally very safe because most lesions are usually at an early stage, with a low risk of metastasis," he says.


Preventive maintenance


Certain precautions such as a good diet, not drinking alcoholic beverages, avoiding tobacco, and above all avoiding excessive sun exposure also help to prevent skin cancer.


"People should use sunscreen all over the place and the filter should be appropriate for the skin type, whether it's young or mature, oily or acne-prone," says Dr. Tiago.


It is also important to protect yourself by wearing sun-protective clothing and accessories such as t-shirts and hats. If a person cannot afford these items, normal clothing and accessories also help protect the skin as long as they cover the area completely.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post