A woman driving a rickshaw in Quetta: 'This man taunted me for giving birth to a daughter who has five daughters of his own

 

A woman driving a rickshaw in Quetta: 'This man taunted me for giving birth to a daughter who has five daughters of his own
A woman driving a rickshaw in Quetta: 'This man taunted me for giving birth to a daughter who has five daughters of his own

After marriage, when my daughter was born, my father-in-law was not happy about it. My Father-in-law asked me why I did not give birth to a son. I was most surprised that this was said by a person who himself has not one but five daughters.


Bibi Zahra is the 'first and only' woman to drive a rickshaw in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan. She says that after the birth of her daughter, she felt that her in-laws considered her and her daughter a burden.


"I came to my siblings and instead of being a burden here, I started working hard to support my daughter."


Bibi Zahra belongs to the Nechari area of Quetta. His family is very poor and due to financial difficulties, he and his family members live in a very dilapidated house in the Lohari neighborhood of Nichari.


Ten years ago, Bibi Zahra was married in Lahore, but after the birth of her daughter, she had to leave her in-laws and come back to Quetta because, according to her, her in-laws were not happy about the birth of a girl.


'The first task was painful to deal with


Bibi Zahra showed us the thada in front of her house, where she sat and first started selling food to keep the wheel of life going.


He said that he had to sit in this open place for many hours even in extreme cold and rain.


"It was a very difficult time because in the extreme cold and rain my cloak would get wet many times, so I would go home and change it and come back."


He then showed the dhaba which he had opened at the back of his house after passing away and ran the dhaba for nine years.


It was not only difficult to sit in the dhaba for many hours, but it was stolen four or five times, and once an attempt was made to burn it.


He got fed up driving the dhaba after which he started driving a motorbike. Started dropping his daughter off at school on a bike and also gave pick-and-drop to a local child.


He said that 'it wasn't long after I started riding a bike that Allah gave me a rickshaw, through which I got better than before.'


Although it is very difficult to make a living in the era of inflation, but because of rickshaws, more school children have been found to give pick and drop.


'Women feel safer with me'


He said that both men and women travel in their rickshaws.


"Women feel the safest with me. Many women also come to my house from where I take them to their destinations.


Bibi Zahra said that when men see me driving a rickshaw, they are surprised that a woman is driving a rickshaw in Quetta.


He said that thanks to Allah, no one was rude to me, but men appreciated my hard work. No man discouraged me and did not say why a woman is doing this.


He said that in this environment, the role of his brothers is the proudest.


He said that there is a strict environment in Balochistan, including Quetta, in which men do not allow women to do such work if they are not forced, but my brothers did not stop me from working but supported me and allowed me to work in a dignified manner. I can earn from.


"After the rickshaw, Allah gave the car"


Bibi Zahra said that when a person dares, big obstacles are removed, of which he is a clear example.


Pointing to a white high-roof Suzuki car in front of his rickshaw, he said, "After the rickshaw, Allah gave me a car."


He said that the women's rights organization 'Awrat Foundation' had seen the videos of my hard work, which is why they gave me this car.


Zahra is very happy to get a Suzuki High Roof and is now learning to drive a rickshaw as well as driving from her brother.


Zahra says that the car will require less effort than driving a rickshaw or other jobs.


He said that they will be able to pick up and drop more children in the car, due to which their income will also improve.


"When the hands are safe, why despair"


On the question that there was ever any disappointment in this difficult journey of life, then Bibi Zahra said that when both hands are safe and health is good, what is the point of disappointment?


I also have breakdowns but then I try to manage myself. If two hands are healthy, it is better for a person to eat by working hard than by begging and doing wrong.


Bibi Zahra said that one of her greatest wishes is to give good education and training to her daughter.


"I will try to teach my daughter well with the available resources I have."


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post